Hinkson Family Circle





Friday, June 11, 2010

My terrible,horrible, no good, not bad, pretty good, wonderful day.

This day started out horrible. We woke up with the partial phone call with really scary unresolved news. I sat there in the dark awake after trying to call and get internet and everything we could think of to get back in touch with Sonya. Tyler sent texts to friends in Russia to skype Sonya but no one could skype Ukraine for some reason. It was crazy. I cleaned out my purse and everything I could to not be too nervous and go crazy. The guy in the room next to us was snoring so loudly that it was almost comical but I was a nervous wreck. Each time the train would pull into a little city I would pray that someone would call us. We didn't have any minutes left after trying to call out and could only receive incoming calls. Finally I was so exhausted I fell asleep for a few minutes and then the train stopped and didn't start going again. I woke Tyler and said could we actually be there. He said "no we have one hour" I asked if that took into consideration the time change and he really woke up then and said "oh no, I forgot, we have to get off." We grabbed our luggage and jumped off the train half dressed with no makeup and who knows what my hair looked like. In the exodus I broke a fingernail (I know boo hoo) but we were greeted by rude taxi drivers who took offence that we knew how badly they were trying to rip us off and a slew of gypsy women. So I didn't really care about my appearance. We went to the hotel with our belongings half thrown in bags and looking like vagabonds and I sat in the lobby getting on the internet and skype to find out what was going on. When we couldn't find any flights to get us anywhere right away we checked into a room. We showered but I learned that if you shower immediately after your son, the small hot water heater attached to the wall (you guessed it) right over the toilet, will not provide enough hot water for 2 showers, only 1 and 1/4 of a shower. After I froze through that I curled my hair and tripped on the cord and the curling iron fell on my toes. I was not reacting quickly enough and it burned it pretty bad. It blistered and I had to wear flop flops to not have it hurt all day. Later Tyler stepped on my blistered toes and they burst and I had raw sores walking along the filthy streets of Russia. It is a good thing that they tested us for all those diseases BEFORE we got over here.
Tyler could see that I was going downhill fast when we couldn't find an option to get back to Kiev in any reasonable time. We could spend thousands of dollars to sit in airports in Prague and some country that I have never heard of for the next 2 days and then end up in Ukraine at almost the same time as we have tickets for. He called some friends he has here ( a cute newly married couple) and we went on a drive to a huge dam and up a mountain on a ski lift and spent a few hours in nature. I started feeling better but the day got really good when we got back to the hotel and checked the internet and saw that Sonya and Dean have rescued our boys and taken them out of the orphanage and are helping to keep Oleg away from the villain relatives who want him to stay in an orphanage for 8 more years so he can look forward to going on Ukrainian welfare. I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO grateful and forever indebted. This means even more when I know what an adjustment this is already for them to have tripled their children and then they are taking on 2 more for a couple of days. I am worried that it will be so fun for them that they will go right home and get to work on the paperwork to come right back to Ukraine for another trip of a lifetime :) JK. Then I talked to my family and they are doing well and miss us too. Thanks for the prayers and the support. Thanks Sonya for all you have done. You will never know how relieved we are. I will watch all your boys for 2 months sometime while you go to relax in Greece.
I am going to bed with a smile on my face and Neosporin on my toe :)
Christy

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that Sonya and Dean are there with you! What a blessing to have someone from America looking after your children while you're traveling. Especially Sonya, who is a fighter! She wouldn't let anything happen to your kids. After the ten day wait, it is pretty hard not to want to come home asap! It seems that there is always something that pop's up. You will get through it however, and be home before you know it! Hang in there. As always, you are in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, just checked the blog...what a wild past couple of days! By the time you get home, you'll have ridden the complete spectrum of emotions. Please get home with your boys! It's not over until it's over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a crazy terrible time. I am sorry you have had such a rough few days. Poor you. Good thing for Sonya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, just reading this post may my toe hurt!!
    I am so glad Sonya is there. It's so nice to know someone's got your back. Keep your eye on the prize. I know it's crazy, I know it's tough and I know you just want to go home but you are almost there.
    So glad you have Tyler with you. I figure that hovel in Siberia would list for the price of the land only and the structure would actually be a detriment? Or better used as firewood?
    We are so blessed. (Keep repeating that as you jump through these last hoops! Yep, you've got a few more but it should be downhill from here!)
    Sending you all my happy-stay away from the crazy relative vibes!
    I know you have very stretchy rope if all else fails just tie a note and hang on!!!
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete