Hinkson Family Circle





Thursday, June 24, 2010

Embassy and Medical Center

We gave all the rest of our American money to Oksana who took $3000 the other day and said that it would pay for the Passports, Visas and Medical exam. She is no where to be found now.
We had to pay this money again along with an unexpected $670.00 to the embassy because the 2 that we are adopting are not siblings. We hope that Oksana will give us the paper that she promised us that outlines the expenses she incurred in the region. We gave her a total of $8000.00 and cannot imagine what all of this money could have gone for since we paid the driver and the notary as we went along. We paid Kostya the money for the facilitator portion and so the money she took is just for expenses such as copies, bribes etc. We are disappointed that we were told that we had paid for something and then had to pay for it again today. What if we had not had a little reserve with us? They don't take credit cards here. I guess we could have made Dave wake up and wire money. I feel a little betrayed by someone I trusted a lot throughout this adoption.

Kostya did give me some valuable Ukrainian adoption information today. He said that the Dnepro region (where we went) is the hardest region and he advises the families that he works with to never go there. He said is has a bad prosecutor and it takes much longer and is the most expensive region because everyone expects to be paid extra to do their job. He said that the ones up North like Sumy are much better and that the Kiev region is also very greedy. He said that the central regions around Kiev are good ones and that Donestk in a good one too but that there are not any regions that are free from bribes and corruption. It sounds like the whole country is corrupted by greed. I am really disappointed in what I have learned about Ukraine on this trip. If I hadn't felt that I was supposed to adopt these specific kids, I would have turned around and gone home. American adoption looks like a very good adoption option. I have witnessed things in this process that would put people in prison if done in the USA. The attitude of many of the Ukrainian people is that we Americans are rich and can afford to be ripped off. No one can afford to be ripped off. I am glad that I am from a country and a belief system that supports principles of honesty and uprightness. America has it's problems but Ukraine has made me want to fight to keep our homeland from becoming like this country.

On a good note:
Today we went to the embassy and filled out paperwork and then to the medical center to do the exams and get more paperwork. The Embassy was wonderful. They kept all of Oleg's passport pictures however and so we had to find another place to take more passport pictures to take to the medical center. The medical exam cost us $110 each and was a total of 2 1/2 minutes long. The female doctor looked in their mouth, listened to their lungs, had them lay down and pressed on their stomach and looked in their underwear. They also had to take their blood to check for Syphilis and we had to pay another 100 grevnia to expedite the blood test so that we could make our appointment at the embassy at 2:00. The chief person in charge of the laboratory just put the money in her pocket. We met with the consulate at the embassy and she said that the visas will be ready at 9:30 AM tomorrow. She didn't even ask for money under the table. It looks like we will be good to go on Saturday and make it home on Sat night at 11:35 as planned in the Delta terminal.

We were able to pay with Grivnia at the Embassy but no such luck at the med. center. We had to find a bank that had American money which is not an easy task in Ukraine. we found out that our apartment is just right by TGIFridays. We are going there tonight and maybe the Corbetts will join us. They were side by side us today in the process and should get their passports tomorrow morning too. We are not sure when they will be going home but I am confident that they will not extend their stay to soak in some more Ukrainian hospitality.

There's no place like home.

7 comments:

  1. Oh no! I hope Oksana shows up with something to show for the money they took. It's sad about the corruption. Adoption in Ukraine is huge, and it seems that every year there are families that try to make a case out of the corruption for the government, but at the end of the day, one of Ukraine's gross national products is orphans. The only gross part about it is the buckets of money and millions of hoops you have to jump through to provide a better life for these kids.

    Anyways, it sounds like you are on the tail end of all of this, and soon, you will be outta there. You and your sons have been amazing to follow through this entire experience. Your observations about Ukraine are, sadly, so accurate. In one of your first posts after arriving, you spoke about how this was a young, developing economy. If Ukraine can follow the example of some of the other countries in the EU that have proven that a government that allows and fosters the people to create and cultivate capitalism, they will be an amazing force in that region. Until then, your 2 boys are blessed to have the chance at a new life and you can say good riddance in a few days.

    What is your flight #?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. We didn't pay for anything besides transportation and the embassy. All our bribes I guess came out of the $17,000 we paid to our adoption agency? They also paid the facilitator. I know we did pay a bribe to get train tickets at the last minute but again, that was transportation. Our total with housing, airfare, transportation and spending money was just around $28,000. (I'm telling you all this so you can compare where you're at-maybe it will make you feel better-maybe not?)
    Wasn't the embassy a breath of fresh air? With English speaking people and everything??
    Our medical was quite the same except the examiner/doctor was angry that his medical chart only had words and not sentences. She wanted more information and she would shake her head in disgust, point and certain words in his chart and mumble. She was appalled that he had FOUR upper respiratory infections in his life. Really? I didn't think four was that bad in ten years. She did the same meager feel his glands look in his eyes and peek in his pants.
    I really want to be at the airport and it's not too late considering we don't get out of Peter Pan until eleven, I just don't know about showing up in stage makeup and hair. Amy is trying to talk me into it. So, if you see me looking crazy-you're not just overly tired from the trip-I really look that way!!
    Enjoy this last day knowing you're out of there with boys and passports in hand!
    Let us know your flight number. If you'd rather email it, I'll forward it to everyone.
    W

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to see you with stage makeup and hair. Since I have been here 51 days, I have a new look too. Bright orange hair, a big gold tooth, high heels and I may be selling sunflower seeds. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our facilitator didn't hit us up for extra surprises either, what is up with that? The cost for all those papers and notary should have come out of the facilitator fee, and $3000. for visa, passport and medical? HOW COULD IT POSSIBLY BE THAT MUCH??? Especially since your passport wasn't expidited in one day. This doesn't make sense. Hopefully she showed up with some really good answers. I think Wendy should for sure come in full makeup, it will entertain any of us that make it to the airport! Come on Wendy, take it for the team! Christy, life will look so much sweeter in a couple of days, I promise, enjoy your last day in KIEV. I bought Misha some Ukrainian soccer tee-shirts before we left and he still cherishes them. Also, Amy's suggestion was great about bringing home some treats for later. Thanks for the entertaining blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you working with Elliana and Yuri, if so you should let them know to spare the next ones in line. I'm sorry it happened to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Christy,

    This is Carrie - Andreas' wife. Oh, how I feel your pain! Reading your blog takes me right back to the feelings I had when I was in Ukraine. I remember feeling so sickened by the process and like I had just bought my child on the black market. I felt that this is NOT who I am, and if I were asked temple questions while in Ukraine, I would surely fail. (The one about being honest with your fellow men!). I had to take it to the Lord in prayer. I did receive a peace-giving answer. I felt Heavenly Father impress upon my heart that this was for the greater good, and just as Lehi had to slay Laban for the greater good, so I must also do what was necessary to bring our daughter home to a place where she would be loved and protected, where she could learn about the gospel and how much her Heavenly Father and Savior loved her. How thankful I am that was the case for our Yuliya. But it saddens my heart to think that anyone could come in and take a child, for any reason, as long as they had the money.

    Just keep looking forward and try to not let the day to day get to you, as hard as that is. You'll be home soon and you'll be able to provide a family for these sweet boys. Your joy will only grow. We hope to see you at the airport soon.

    -Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to thank you for your detailed blog
    and honesty of all the things that have happened along this journey and especially the honesty about the awful things that have happened. That may sound strange but to me it is good to get a real perspective of it all, some would not tell but you have given that to me and I am grateful. You have suffered a lot. My hope is that things will now run much smoother for you and that you see all the good in what you have accomplished.

    ReplyDelete