Hinkson Family Circle





Wednesday, June 23, 2010

In Kiev






We made it to Kiev. It is 5:30 AM and I can't sleep. I was so tired last night after we arrived on the train. Kostya picked us up and brought us to our apartment. It is in an old building but the apartment has been remodeled in the past few years.
When he opened the door the boys said "colosna" which is like saying "wow" So it doesn't take a lot to please them. I almost said the same thing when I went in the bathroom and they actually had a washcloth!!! I took a picture of it. All this time in Ukraine and this is the first one :)

Kostya was upset because they had promised him 3 beds and there is one and a pull-out v shaped couch. It is big and all three boys decided to sleep there. I told them that they could sleep in the master bed but no they wanted to all sleep in that room. Kostya said "you have to check everything everyone says because you can't count on them to tell you correct things." he was pretty mad. We just wanted to sleep and so we told him to not worry. When I went to bed, I looked up and saw a really old chandelier in my room and I thought "I hope this place isn't haunted because I need a good night's sleep" So far no ghosts.

Today we go do the medical and the Visa at the Embassy. We want to do both today so that we can be sure and go home Saturday. Hooray, Hooray it's back to the USA.

I wanted to post some picture that I have been collecting of the apartment Foyers. They usually look really scary as you walk into almost every apartment building. No one seems to care about the area where you enter and the stairs are. When you open the apartments it is like a whole new world, but the stairs look like death. Someone could really work wonders with a power-washing business. Then again I don't know if anyone would pay to have it cleaned or fixed up because everyone seems to care only about what is their property.

We hope to see the Corbetts today and I heard that they may have their passports too. I certainly hope so. We are all so ready to go HOME.

2 comments:

  1. You are getting closer and closer to coming home. I am so excited for you. I was going to tell you I brought home a few Ukranian treats that I thought had a long shelf life and pulled them out a few months after my kids had been home. You should have heard their cries of joy when I showed them. They hugged me and were so grateful. They kissed their treats and didn't even eat them for a few days. Not sure if your boys would like that, but I thought I would share.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did the same thing as Amy-I bought those nasty fish snacks-squid wind was what they were called. Alex ate them all the time in Ukraine. But, unlike Amy's girls he refused to eat them in the US. We couldn't even get our DOG to eat them!! Funny huh? (Keep in mind Alex really just wanted to be American at this point and was refusing to even speak Ukrainian so might have had something to do with it? That and the other kids gagged over them so he may have felt a little peer pressure? I don't know. I just know that NO ONE-furry family members included-would eat them!)

    ReplyDelete