Hinkson Family Circle





Sunday, June 20, 2010

Last Sunday in Dnepro (we sure hope)

Happy Father's Day. We were really hoping to be home today to wish the fathers in our lives happy Father's day but ALAS we are still here in Dnepro for hopefully our last Sunday. Dave for Father's day I am going to bring 2 sons home. Your quiver is getting fuller and fuller. I hope they will all make you happy.

We had an adventure trying to get to church today. We usually take the bus from left bank and it takes us into the part of the city near the church. We are now living on right bank and we did take the bus from here near the train station when we went shopping once but it went to a different part of the city. So we got up and took the #4 bus to left bank. It was sitting waiting for more riders and we were worried about missing the other bus and so Tyler asked the driver if we would get to the MIR plaza by 9 am and he said maybe not. We said then we better take a taxi and the driver said that if we paid for the rest of the seats on the bus that he would leave immediately. It was only about 2 dollars and so we did and off he went. Never has there been a faster bus ride across the river. He made it on time and Oleg said "Are we already on left bank?" we got out and waited for the bus to the big city and it didn't come and didn't come. Finally one came that was already pretty full and Tyler asked if it was going to the place by the church and the driver said yes. Tyler had to stand most of the ride and I sat between 2 Ukrainian men and watched the wild flowers out the window and thought about how they smelled instead of the other passengers so close to me. The bus always has a smell that is a mix of motor oil, dirt and body odor. ANYWAY we got to the city after the hour drive and it went to the bus station not by the church. We talked to the locals and took the tramway part way and then took a taxi to the church. The taxi was only $6 but we got into church right as they were starting. It was kind of a crazy trip. I felt like we had sacrificed to get to church today. I had prayed that I would be able to get something out of church since it is hard when you don't understand the language. I decided today that I would think of the American words during the hymns. I usually try to sing the Russian words which don't mean much to me. As I sang the words to the sacrament hymn these words really hit me and gave me strength.

Love Effulgent Love divine
What debt of gratitude is mine
That in His offering I have part
And hold a place within His heart.

After church we talked to some people. Tyler loves to talk to the missionaries and I talked to an older gentleman who had come to Ukraine to get married. He had learned that the paperwork may take a year. He was spilling his guts to me. (probably the only English speaking person he had seen in months) I guess the red tape is not limited to adoption.

We rode the bus as far as Elizabetica and went to George and Allah's house for Lunch. We met them because their daughters work at the orphanage. Sveta was Oleg's caretaker "Mama" there. They are wonderful people who had us over for a meal at the beginning of this trip. I will post pictures of the meal. She is an awesome cook. They made mashed potatoes with fried eggs on top and zucchini slices fried with garlic sauce on top and then palomini with cherries in them and bleenie for dessert. I know that Dave's mouth is watering because he knows how good her food is. These people really restore my faith in the people of Ukraine. They are really good Christian people who want to make a difference in the world. After we ate they had me play the piano for them and then we had a great discussion about religion. I told them that we had met an Apostle in Russia and a lot more things and long story short: this time they took the book.

They drove us back home in a car that they have had for 33 years. They gave us a big jar of honey to take home and fresh milk (they just bought a cow) and some more bleenie for later.

While there Oleg and Vitaly were in 7th heaven. They played with goats, rode a bike, climbed things and had a blast on the farm in the village. Oleg was so warm to his teacher it gave me hope for what he may be like in our family someday. I am a little ticked at Vitaly right now. I made spaghetti tonight and I dished him up some and he pushed it away. I gave it to him again and he did it again and left the room. Tyler went to talk to him and he said "I won't eat that" I made it a couple weeks ago and they liked it. He has been kind of a brat all day giving me the cold shoulder and not answering when I talk to him and being the classic leave me alone teenager. We asked if he was mad or what and he says he is fine. I don't know what is up with him but I am glad that we got to get out of the apartment for most of the day so I wouldn't have to be rejected and scowled at by him the whole day. It is hard to not feel like a vending machine for gum or money or toys in this process of trying to build a relationship. I didn't do this for the hugs or warm fuzzies but hopefully there will be some love or even appreciation pop out at some point Tyler told Oleg to give me a hug and he did. I wonder how much he paid him :) For Vitaly maybe it is just Red Bull withdrawal. I hear that can be rough.




3 comments:

  1. Yeah for placing the book!! We left a couple and an animated Russian version. We also sent a referral but don't know if missionaries found her.
    Oh, the vending machine analogy is so spot on!
    Did you ever tell me how old your boys are?
    We had a rough start with food but in time he came to love EVERYTHING! I just corrected Alex's journal and he's writing about the BBQ we're going to have for Fathers Day. He wrote "I'm telling you, my mom is the best cooker ever." I've corrected the spelling so that you can actually understand what it is he was trying to say.) This from a boy that was brought to tears when I made rice, anything green in the way of the vegetable family and who sniffed and turned up his nose and almost everything but fruit and bread! It will come.
    Wow. Getting to church. Makes me appreciate my five minute drive-that I could walk if we were ever on time!
    The food did look so yummy. Alex is always talking about putting garlic slices on bread and I had never seen anything like that. Was it sauteed in a sauce? You are so lucky to be rubbing shoulders with kind loving locals. I had the opportunity with Alex's half brother at Easter. They really can make some yummy things but oh my goodness-Ukraine cooking is not fast or convenient!
    I had to laugh at the Red Bull withdrawal comment. It might just be orphanage/Ukraine withdrawal thrown in with loving family adjustment and a touch of selfish pride? We've had that diagnosis at our house before.
    As always, it's good to hear you're alive and dodging the needles, potholes and relatives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. Hope you're having a great Father's Day in Ukraine!! We are really enjoying Alisa. She is such a sweetheart. Her and Rachel are getting along really well. I'm glad that we timed this the way we did. She will have a great week and then look forward to hopefully arriving home at about the same time as you all. She is anxious about her new brothers and we are really anxious to meet our two newest grandsons. Debby and Mike and Mark and everyone was calling Bill so Alisa went in on her cell phone and pretended to be you, Christy and called and wished him a Happy Father's Day. It blew him away for a minute or two and then he realized it was her. He told her that he totally understands why you can't call and that he is just happy that you are finally getting everything there finished so you can come home. She was so sweet to try to cover for you. We assured her that it was not necessary. We read your "post" and it was just like getting a message from you so it was perfect!! We are just SO grateful for all you're doing and for your love and kindness to help those two special boys!! We really mean that. Again, we are just SO proud of you for the sacrifices that you and Dave and the whole family is making to help those kids. It was also special that you donated that money to the orphanage. You probably don't realize all the lives you're really touching by being there. It will impact all of them for the rest of their lives!! You're wonderful and we love you SO much. Ty we are really anxious to see you and get a full report about your mission. We miss both of you SO much. I'm glad you got a good meal today and don't worry, we will take good care of your daughter for you. We ate my "famous hamburgers" today and I can't believe both her and Rachel each ate TWO of them. They are huge and I couldn't have possibly eaten more than one! Thanks for sharing her with us. She is really a special little angel! We love you forever and will continue to pray day and night for you. Love Mom and Bill

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you are spending so much time with the people and getting to know them. I am sure your boys will appreciate that someday. My kids love to hear about my impressions of Ukraine. When I tell them the things I love about Ukraine, I can see in their faces how happy it makes them.

    ReplyDelete