Hinkson Family Circle





Wednesday, June 23, 2010

look up


Look Up

I am sittng here at the train station and hoping that Tyler and the boys aren't caught in a rain storm. I just got yelled at (in Ukrianian) by a lady who is pushing a big floor washing machine around and wanted me to put all of our luggage on the chairs and off the floor so she can drive the machine over this area. I am happy that she did (the cleaning, not the yelling) because the people who sat by me spilled beer all over the floor and it is dirty. I have spent a lot of time on this 51 day trip looking at floors and watching the gound to be sure not to step in or on various horrendous things but as I sat here I absentmindedly looked up. The ceilings in this buiding are BEAUTIFUL. When the Soviet Union was intact they made the public places (train stations and subways) very elaborate and out of the best material because that was their gift to "the people" It occurred to me that things always seem better when you look up.
I have been saying prayers of gratitude for letting us get our passports and so we can go home. It always feels better and less lonely in life, when I look up.
So my profound thought today is "Things look up when we look up."

2 comments:

  1. You are finally out of Dnepro. I loved your pictures. They made me laugh. I did come to love that place while I was there and when I see pictures it pulls at my heart strings just a bit. I have so many happy and funny memories of Dnepro. It is the place I got to know Wendy after all, and what would life be without Wendy?

    The more I love my girls the more I love where they came from. That town is part of them and part of who they will always be.

    It is the place I became a mother and for that reason despite its dirt, potholes, horrible smells and all other craziness that makes us laugh it has a sacred place in my heart. Funny how you can hate a place and love it at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww...Amy. You are too nice. You and Alex are the best things I found in Ukraine!
    Christy, I am so glad you're out of there! I have a few fond memories as well but I know the anxiety you're having and how much you want to get all your children home under one roof!
    When we got home every time we drove over train tracks or saw any litter in the US Alex would say "Dniprozerzink" Even the children realize the place is filthy and in poor condition.
    I hope you savor ever last minute in Kiev as hard as that will be and I have enjoyed ever minute of your adventure. Thanks for letting me tag a long and share my stories. I really hope the next families blog lots and Iook forward to following the next chapter of your adventure!
    W

    ReplyDelete