Hinkson Family Circle





Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Life in a family

We are loving being home. Tonight at dinner both Vitaly and Spencer (Oleg) said that they like being here in our home more than the orphanage. We are relieved because I sure wouldn't want to do the paperwork to do a return. I never doubted that they like it here because they have been beaming and running from one facination to the next since we walked in the door. I think that adrenelin will at some point run out but maybe not :) They are both like Mogli from the Jungle and need to touch, smell and look at everything. It is pretty amusing and a teeny tiny bit weird. Vitaly sniffs everything and it reminds me a little of a dog sniffing before he eats. We have tried to have some familiar things incorporated with our regular meals and it is working. Tonight we had Buckwheat, Steak and Coleslaw. I also made strawberry shortcake with strawberries from our garden and they decided that American cake is where it is at.

Everyone is meshing really well. I am sure it was a bit overwhelming to come home to 4 more siblings (besides Tyler) who live at our house and who are all bigger than them. Spencer can wear Scott's clothes that are too little for Scott even though he is 3 years older. We made a goal to do better with fitness and eating better since now the ones in the family who are overweight seem really big compared to the new boys. I can tell that everyone is meshing because now the wrestling and teasing and goofing off include everyone.

Vitaly went from being a teenager all decked out in his Nike stuff and too cool to be bothered to a playful little boy at home. Last night he took the 4 wheeler key from Dave and put it in his mouth and ran outside, started the 4 wheeler and proceeded to drive right into the porch. Luckliy he was going slow enough to not get hurt or hurt anything much. We are hiding keys so he doesn't take a spin in the cars. If we are missing anything electronic it is probably under his pillow.

He did the sweetest thing yesterday. We had each made goals on Monday night for Family Home Evening. One of my goals was to get Vitaly to cut his hair. He said "I have been growing this (his mullet) for a year and you want me to cut it" Tyler answered "Dah" he laughed but was not wanting to cut it at all. Yesterday he went into the bathroom in the basement and cut it off by himself. I was so happy, I hugged him and a little bit later I gave him 5 snickers to show how much I liked his hair. He promptly shared with Daniel and ate them all.

Spencer has smiled more since we have been home than he did the whole time in Ukraine. He is a little loving boy who is having the time of his life. Last night as Dave was taking them for a ride on the 4 wheeler while I watched from the deck, Spencer looked at me and kissed the air. He is very compliant and doesn't give us any trouble when we explain a rule. If I had to guess right now, I would dare say that he will be an easy child. He is already learning English and can say several phrases. I am so proud of each of our new sons and also each of our other children who have sacrificed to welcome their new brothers and help to teach them about life in a family.

Tomorrow we are going to Lagoon to try to get some energy out. They are excited. I put the patriotic decorations up today and know more than ever before, that this is the Land that I LOVE.

Life is good at our house.
All is Well!

3 comments:

  1. What a great follow up. It sounds like you are all going with the flow of things and enjoying your new boys. It's such a relief to read posts like this where you are your normal, happy self with the family that you love so much. Congrats again on getting through all of that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He drove the four wheeler into the porch??? Oh my.
    I can't wait to hear about Lagoon. We took Alex about a month after he got home and he struggled. After several big rides he told me "I fro up little my mouth." It was at that point I took over the ride selection and we went to the kiddie rides. They've got nothing like Lagoon in Ukraine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They sound a lot like my kids when we came home from Russia!

    ReplyDelete