Hinkson Family Circle





Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Last day in jerjinsk

Today we spent another day in the car going from agency to agency gathering paperwork It was boring but we actually saw a decent government office. It is the one where you go if your kids have to give up their property to leave the country. We were there for awhile and they wrote a letter to the committee in Ukrainian and then had me write what it said in English (with Tyler's help) and then sign it in my normal American signature. Just about everything else I have signed (except for Visa slips) have required that we write our last (familia) name first like they do in this country.

We just tried to go to the orphanage to see Vovo but they have moved him to a santitorium which I think is to prevent him from being taken to camp with the other kids. Oksana was talking about how she was going to ask the director to do that so that the Mechams wouldn't have to travel so far out in the country to visit him. Anya also told us that she will be working with the Mechams when they come. She is the girl who has been doing the work for Oksana. I really like her and trust her, at least as much as you can trust anyone here. They have a different definition of honesty I am afraid.

It is impossible to go and see Vovo at the Sanitorium. They told us it was forbidden. We also found out that the family who is "adopting" Vladik is really doing more like Foster care and only will raise him until he is 18. The mom seemed like a nice lady and I hope they will give him a good start to as happy of a life as you can have in Ukraine. They already have Ruslana, and Anya (her sister) has refused to go with them. She will probably stay at the orphanage with Alina and the others who are boycotting adoption.

I also learned that the orphanage will allow the kids to stay unitl they are 18 and at the one that Vovo is at it is 23. So it is not the grim "they are on the streets at 16" that we thought. Overall the statistics that we read about the orphans of Ukraine do not seem to apply here in this region. We tried to find some orphans on the street to contrast with those who are adopted and there doesn't seem to be any homeless, jobless orphans that anyone can identify. My impression is that being an orphan is not as bad as I expected and being a regular Ukrainian citizen is worse than I expected.

We are planning to get the passports tomorrow. I told the boys to pack their stuff and they did all by themselves. They folded all their clothes and put them nicely in their suitcase and then put the toys and DVD player in their backpack. They picked up trash on the floor in their room and even got out the vacuum and did that on their own. I am so happy that I am getting to raise these boys. Some days it seems like it will be hard and other days it feels like it will be a breeze.
I will keep blogging as this adventure has just begun. I am sure that we will have many things to write about in the future.

I wish that I felt more sad to be leaving this city. I asked the boys how often they want to come back. They said once in 10 years. That made me a little relieved that we don't need to make a trip to Ukraine for 10 years. Maybe by then Bryan will have a wife and want to come back to see where he served his mission and they could go with him :) hee hee hee.

3 comments:

  1. You got it! Some days are really hard, and you start to wonder if you did the right thing. Then you get your pay back days, and life is great again.

    It sounds like Alina will not have it so bad after all. I felt so badly, that she would have regrets right after you left. I'm sure in the future, she might, but at her age now, maybe not. In any case, it must make you feel so much better about her decision. I'm sure that Oleg will want to keep in touch with her, and that will be a good thing.

    In about an hour, my boys are going to call their family in Ukraine. They have all gathered at the Grandmothers. They have become our family too, and we love them all. My Daughter has even written to the Grandma, calling her Grandma! It will be great for your whole family to have an extended family in Ukraine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're the same way. We just found out that Alex's half brothers wife is pregnant! Alex told me I'm going to be a babushka. We try to Skpe about once a month but lately it's been more like every other month. Alex never asks and they never ask and I think with the loss of his language he struggles as the wife has to translate between the two brothers. Alex doesn't feel bad-he just insists the Ivan needs to learn more English.
    I'm so glad they're pitching in. They just need guidance. They've been raised as a herd or litter for so long. The best advice I got from Alex's orphanage director is "You will need to teach him everything. He has no idea how to live in a family." I thought sure. I had no idea. As much as I've missed the first ten years of his life, I've had the chance to teach him everything he should have learned at every age. Not always easy on the pride when you're eleven years old but he preservers....
    I'm so glad to hear you're going to keep writing. I've said this before but, it seems like everyone's stories end when the step on American soil when really the adoption was jut the prologue to the book. The real story starts now! When I got home I couldn't find anyone that wrote more than updates a couple times a year. I really wanted to know how things went, if what I was going through was abnormal or similar. What worked and didn't work. But mostly I wanted to document the rest of our story. For me and for Alex so when others have their baby books and pictures, he has the first few years of his life with us documented. I just don't want to forget these next few "chapters" of his story.
    So HURRAY!!! You're going to keep blogging!!
    Wow. I wonder if blogger will cut you off when you comment too long??? I guess I'll find out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, your adventure in Ukraine is just about over. It seems like you've been gone a long time. I'm sure you feel the same way. Our Alex also calls to Ukraine every few weeks to talk to his friends and teacher and the director. Yes, some days you wonder why you went through the hassle and tremendous expense. We had one of those days yesterday. Today is much better. I can't believe you're in charge of camp the first week of July. Holy cow, woman. You're one faithful person. Well, I hope everything goes smoothly on your trip home, and we'll see you soon.

    ReplyDelete