Hinkson Family Circle





Tuesday, June 15, 2010

My attempt to classify Ukrainian people


These are just my impressions. I know that my view is a little warped but here is what I see in the people here.
There are enough of the folowing kinds of people to justify a catagory:


Young women:
These are the ones with the high heels and revealing clotes. It is kind of interesting that I don't seem to see many ladies in my age group. They seem to mostly be under 25 and then skip right to being a babuska. I am not sure where all the 30 and 40 year old ladies are (Dave says they are at work) I dont know exactly. I have wondered if when your hair starts to turn gray you are supposed to wear a scarf and be a babuska. Maybe that is where the orange hair comes in handy. I have been told all the time that I look way too young to be Tyler's mother. I kind of like that but do wonder how it works. The young girls are beutiful. Probably some of the most beautiful girl in the world. They have tiny waists and look ilke barbies walking around in real life with their high heels click click clicking along.

Men in General;
Sorry but the men are not the best looking in all the world. Some have a kind of scandinavian look and they are nice looking but most Ukrainian men are very round faced with chubby cheeks and big pot bellies. They look a lot like large cabbage patch kids. I think it may be from years of vodka or something. The little boys are all cute but when they grow up and live in this culture of heavy drinking and smoking, it must take a toll. I know that they can't help what mother nature gives to them but they could use a few lessons in spitting right where you are ready to step or blowing smoke in your face or any of the other sick habits they exhibit.
Babuskas:
They always wear a scarf and a dress (actually usually a skirt and shirt that don't match) They are usually missing teeth and look about 75 years old or older in American years. If you picture the old lady in the movie Snow White who gives her the apple you will be pretty close. They are nice ladies and can be seen selling things everywhere. They sell Sunflower seeds and all kinds of things. They sit in a row along the sidewalk. I thought that it was because they are poor but Tyler says that it is a social thing to go out and sell stuff with the ladies. I will never forget the one image that I memorized of a babuska on the bus who had a sack of 3 apples. She took one out with her very dirty hands with dirt under her fingernails and proceeded to try to eat the apple with her missing teeth. It was a sad picture as she would kind of knaw at the apple and chew a little. There don't seem to be any babuska husbands, although I think I saw the first one today helping his babuska wife onto the bus. I asked someone why there are no husbands and they said that they have all died or left.

Professionals:
These are the well dressed people that have a good job. They are walking fast in the subway and seem to know where they are going. The men have a briefcase and the women have a larger handbag for papers.
Children:
the kids are beautiful. There are not many kids (unless you are at the orphanage.) I don' t know if any families in Ukraine that are as large as ours is. The moms have maybe 2 kids and take care of them well unless they choose not to and then they drop them off at an orphanage and let them be raised there. There doesnl't seem to be a stigma with abandoning your children here. There also doesn't seem to be a concept of sacrificing for the kids as much as there is in America. That may be why everyone invents false ulterier motives for those of us who choose to adopt. It is hard to understand WHY we would ever want to do that. We must be getting a bunch of money or plan to sell the kids or something. There is such an air of greed and focus on all things material here. It is really sad that they are willing to throw away the real things for a little temporary glitzy garbage.

3 comments:

  1. Your observations are accurate. I'm not sure if you've had the chance to talk to anyone about the Ukraine bride industry over there that is alive and well, but after seeing the gals in the country, you can understand why.

    These pictures of the kids you post are what hurt the most. They have such a light in their eyes, even though they have every reason not to smile. It's heart breaking to know the life that lies ahead of them if their circumstances do not change. I'm sure you've seen the stats on the SAV blog page.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Those stats are very sad. I feel like it is worth it to go through all of this to save these kids from being average Ukrainian men. Life here is horrible even for successful people.

    If I had the chance to do almost anything instead of marrying a Ukrainian man I would sign up quick. It seems funny to me to see the beautiful girls on the arm of the men that are here. There are some great men here for sure but they are the minority.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you hit the nail right on the head. I couldn't agree more with your characterizations of the people there. Where are all the 30, 40, and 50-year old women? I think they turn into babushkas really fast. The life expectancy there is way lower than ours. The babushkas don't have husbands because they all died from smoking and drinking and doing drugs. I'm having fun reading your blog. I check it every day.

    ReplyDelete