Hinkson Family Circle





Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Birth certificates... Check

We got the birth certificates done. Tomorrow we are on to the passport prep. We spent most of the day crammed in the hot car going all over. We have another car day tomorrow and I think we are going to the orphanage again. Sigh. It all means that we are getting closer.

We moved into the apt the Corbetts were in. The owners spent a long time detailing everything about the place and it will be nice. There are 3 rooms instead of one bedroom/living room. The boys are having a fun time too and since the bridge will be closed for another 6 months it is good to be over here

The owners of the apt were impressed with Tyler's Russian and wanted to set him up with their granddaughter. He was surprised when they said she is 15. I agree that Vitaly's girlfriend looks older and could almost pass for his Mom. She does have good taste.

After we cleaned our apt and had everything packed we ran over to the orphanage to take some cookies and pencils that Oleg had got for his classmates and they were so cute. Bogdan said that he really wanted to come to America. He is 7 and is adorable. He speaks some English. I told him that I had showed his picture to some Americans and maybe someone would come for him. He lit up and said THANK YOU. The teacher went around the group and asked if anyone else wanted to go to America and the little boy named Misha really wants to too. He looks like he has some ancestry from India and is the cutest boy. I asked the teacher to ask Christina who was walking around and she didn't respond with any enthusiasm. When I asked our boys if she wanted to go, they said "no" I hope the Alina thing is not scaring off all the girls.

We took Oleg over to say goodbye to Alina. He gave her a hug and she seemed to want to keep hugging him more. She asked for our phone number and we told her that he could call her. She was nice today and that was good to see her in a better mood. I am sure that Oleg will miss her someday but today he didn't seem too attached to anyone at the orphanage.

One thing that is interesting is that Oleg's birthday is really on March 30 and not on October 3o as we were told when we hosted him. We had a big birthday celebration when he was there and he probably thought we were crazy. I called him once in March and he said that the next day was his birthday and I didn't believe him. I told him Happy Birthday anyway but now I feel bad that we didn't have the right information. Oh well now we know when he was born and as far as Ukraine is concerned, he was born Spencer Oleg Hinkson.

We went to a little cafe across the street that the owners suggested (Nicolai and Luba are the owners) For dinner the boys ordered fried eggs (sunnyside up) They loved them. Vitaly said that everyday at the Rogers he ate Fried eggs and fried potatoes. (thanks a lot Arri) I told him that I thought they had Buckwheat and he said no eggs and potatoes. I was happy to know what kind they like. Oleg ate his with a fork and knife but Vitaly inhaled his. I said "Vitaly is pig, oh my goodness "(since he said that to me) and he agreed and kept slurping the eggs.

We love having the boys 24. 7 I was worried about if we would be able to entertain them all day but it seem a lot more natural and genuine to have them with us and less stressful than when we were in the "trial period"

All is well
Love
The 5 Hinksons in Dnepro.





5 comments:

  1. Stock up on potatoes at home. If you are ever stumped on what to feed an adopted child from Ukraine, potatoes (fried, mashed, french, hash, etc) and a side of anything (eggs, chicken, ham, bacon, etc) are always a hit.

    Sadly, the day will come when Alina will question her decision that was so wrongly influenced by people who did not have her best interest in mind.


    Glad you are making progress and will be outta there soon. Like Wendy said, down the road this will all be a blur, and you will look at the pictures you took and not cringe too much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you staying at Luba (doctor from the baby orphanage) and Nicolai's own apartment?? Please let me know and tell them Jon, Shari and Deanna say hello. We stayed there for 5 weeks on our trip and they are so nice! sharis@comcast.net
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah it sounds like all is going well! We are here in Kiev and our appt. went well. Heading to region tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How funny about the birthday mix up! Maybe he needed that while he was being hosted just to see how fun and cool birthdays could be in America?
    So, what grade are you putting your boys in when the get to school in the fall?
    And I agree about having them with you all the time. As stressed as I was to have our adventure extended six days due to our passport mix up it was so much better than having that dumb ten day wait extended as I had my boy OUT OF THERE and with me!
    Do you know the girls camp song with the chorus of "We are on our way....ayay!"? That is what is running though my head right now-you are on your way!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are getting closer. Hopefully everything goes smoothly from here on out.

    That is funny about his birthday. Now that my girls speak English and dare to speak their mind to me, they make fun of a lot of things I did when they were first here. We laugh all the time about what they thought of me. I am sure you will laugh about the birthday party someday.

    ReplyDelete