Hinkson Family Circle





Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Wednesday May 12

We went to the Ballet last night and it was awesome. So professionally done. We saw some sister missionaries there who told us the true way to get to the Kiev Temple and so we are off on the subway today to go try to find it again.

We will pick up our referral letter today at 4 pm and after we dance around singing "I've got a golden ticket" we go to the train station to head to the region. Tomorrow we get to see the kids for which we are very anxious.

I also passed a new milestone today and actually slept at night which means we are getting over the jetlag and trainlag. I usually wake up at 1 am and can't go back to sleep until right before we need to wake up. The night before last I got up and wrote a poem to describe where we are at this point. Hopefully someone will relate.

The Puzzle
My future family picture is like a puzzle now
My heart says it will fit together perfectly somehow

Each day I gather answers t the questions in my mind
Like pieces of a puzzle that I have to search to find.

I cannot rush the process, I have to slowly build
Although "the whole picture" I long to see revealed

There will be great satisfaction when the puzzle's finally done
But it's the placing of the pieces where we find the fun.



We are still in the dark on what our future holds but we have been strongly discouraged by about everyone to pursue the little brother Zhenia who is at a different orphanage, The SDA person, Masha, wouldn't even let me see his picture. She said that he is a sick little boy and has medical and psychological issues and that we should just adopt the older kids. The facilitators seem to think that it won't be too hard to adopt the older kids without him. We hope Alina will want to be adopted when we get there. We are still open to anything and are closer to getting more answers soon. Thanks for the support we feel from friends and family! We love you!

5 comments:

  1. Awesome...you are just awesome. I definitely relate to that poem!

    Thanks for the info, I am going to go pack more underwear now :) ahhhh! culture shock! Can't wait to hear about the kids and Dnipro. Thanks for the pics and hilarious post (six inch heels and cobblestones, haha).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't realize Z had a little brother. In fact, how old are your home grown children? I know you have missionary boys but you still have little one's at home right? How old are they? Are they excited?
    It took me a long time to sleep normal. Most my blog post were written in the wee hours of the morning that first week. That and we watched movies in the middle of the night.
    Good luck finding the temple. I'll be watching for pictures.
    And I love your poem. I wrote one in Ukraine too but wasn't brave enough to put it on my post. I wonder where it is?? I actually wrote it for Amy to use in some advertising/fund-raising but I don't think we ever did. Hum....I haven't thought about it until now.
    My goodness Sonya! Do you ever sleep? I notice your comment as made at 1:38am!
    ~W

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're getting closer and closer to getting to the region. It sounds like you are very open minded about everything. Did you happen to get any history information about Zhenia, and why they were separated? When they said he was 'sick' and had psychological problems, my heart sank. Sometimes kids are labeled in these orphanages according to what they can't do rather than their potential. You're doing a great thing for the kids you adopt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh and you probably already know this but if you're taking the train to Dnipro you have THREE minutes to get all your luggage and yourselves off! Be prepared to throw your luggage out the door and yourselves after it! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love, love, loved your poem. Thanks for sharing your feelings with all of us. My husband and I have found that in this process of adoption, Heavenly Father has truly taken us by the hand and led us. I know He will do the same for you.

    ReplyDelete