Hinkson Family Circle





Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Temple and Groceries

WE FOUND IT. We got on another metro and a different bus and found the temple. I am posting a bunch of pictures and the directions to the temple from the city center. It was a fun ride and if someone else times it right you could be here for the open house this Summer in August. I was surprised by how huge the temple was and how massive the grounds are. It has the little Marriott hotel (we call it that but it isn't really a hotel but is like one for people traveling from far away to stay.) They have one that is almost identical in Finland. This temple and the ground are the biggest we have ever seen in this part of the world. It was a very cool experience to go and see the work in progress. They are doing a lot of work on the structure and the grounds. Hopefully the pictures will say it all. I will post the directions in a separate post so that if someone wants to print them off they can do that. These will be the true directions and not the wild goose chase to the rusty fence directions,

After seeing the temple we found out that the Kiev mission office is there on the grounds too. We got to meet the elders who picked up Bryan at the airport and his mission president.

Next we went to a little grocery store across the street and down a little from the temple. It was a true grocery store. They had soup base, they had carrots, they had cocoa and all the makings for brownies. While we were looking for all the stuff, I jokingly asked Tyler where the brownie mixes were which made him laugh. That is about like asking someone where the nearest Walmart or Target is. If they even know what it is they would probably say Denmark.

One thing they didn't have was egg cartons. You can buy eggs but not in cartons. So I had to protect my eggs for the brownies and home made noodles all the way home on the crowded bus and the subway. I am happy to report that they made it. Not even a little crack. If you planning a trip to Ukraine and want to avoid the stress, throw an egg carton in with your ice cube tray that Wendy suggested. The stores charge for bags too for your groceries and so if you want to save a dime, take your own. We were able to buy all the makings for Chicken soup and homemade noodles, brownies, cucumbers, tomatoes, cabbage, carrots and potatoes eggs etc. for about 10 dollars. It was such a nice feeling to know that I am still a woman and can make brownies in foreign countries even if it is from scratch with no recipe and in a sauce pan in a gas oven that you have to light and with no hot pads. I am on my way to true babuskahood.

We got our golden ticket to the region this afternoon. We said goodbye to Kostya for now and
I have to mention again that he has been absolutely awesome to work with. I am going to post a picture of him too.

We are a variety of emotions for tomorrow. We are excited, nervous, scared, thrilled, relieved and you name it. We hope that the kids run into our arms and are happy to see us. We don't know what Alina will do and Vitaly is still getting to know us and so we hope it is an awesome day. We talked to Oleg on the phone and he is happy that we are coming. Oksana wants to try to get them out of school tomorrow and so we can spend the day with them. I will get things posted about the other Dnepro kids ASAP. We wont have internet in our apt when we get there and so we will do our best to get info to the parents waiting for details on their kids. We are hoping for the best tomorrow. Dave has been pacing. I have been making comfort food. Tyler is taking a nap resting up for all the translating he will be doing tomorrow :)


2 comments:

  1. Whootwhoo! Brownies! That is so how I felt about chocolate chip cookies. If I can just make a batch, I know I'm still the mom and wife I've always been!
    I hope they're fabulous. Straders made chicken soup one night and shared with us. It was delicious!
    LOVED the temple pictures!
    Good luck traveling and you'll be in my prayers!
    W

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made the brownies and the chicken soup. I am so impressed. From scratch even and in your first week. You win the Girl Scout award for sure. Great Pictures! I can't wait to hear how it goes with the kids.

    ReplyDelete