Hinkson Family Circle





Thursday, May 20, 2010

day 8 Thursday Boring with showers

It rained all day today and it was boring , boring. We can't go to the orphanage until 4 pm which gives us the whole day to wash our clothes and sit and try not to be bored. Dave and I went to town (the city side of Dnepro) and rode the bus till they kicked us off. We went to a cafe and ordered borscht and a bleenie and since we didnt have Tyler they said a bunch of stuff and we nodded. They brought the soup and we kept waiting for the bleenie but it never came. We were the only people in the cafe and so pretty soon we figured that they must have said that we couldnt have one and so we left. We bought a roll with cabbage in it and one with meat in it. They really like to cook things in bread here. I want to do a whole post on food in Ukraine soon.

We rode the bus home and got a call from Oksana to hurry over to the Orphanage to go to the notary again. The notary is giving us quantity discount now because we have done so many papers there. Then we went back and watched another rehearsal of the program. They call rehearsals "a repetition" it was still cute. This was our only chance to see Alina and she didn't hide behind the curtain the whole time like last time.

We then were free to take the boys. We went to a big park on the city side (east Bank) and the boys played a game where you pay money (about $1) to throw darts at balloons and no matter how many you hit you get a little sucker. Tyler and Vitaly rode the only ride open and loved it. It is hard not to say things like in America you can go to Lagoon and there are hundreds of rides and... and... I don't want them to ever feel ashamed of Ukraine but I think that they are going to love it in the US.

We went to meet Sonya at the potato house but it was a rush to get some food in the kids and rush them back to the orphanage in time. We don't want to give the teachers any more reason to dislike us. Sonya was sweet to take our boys with her in the car so they could get home more quickly and we rode the bus home.

We got to talk to our kids today and everyone is great at home. I hope they take a long bubble bath and go look at all the blessings we have. Heather who is staying at our house said that she is also lost cooking in our kitchen. I guess anytime it is new it is a challenge. Our kitchen here is pretty nifty. You can stand in one place and do laundry, cook, do dishes and set the table. It only takes 1 minute to sweep the floor (even with the mini witches broom) life is good.
All is well

4 comments:

  1. You are an excellent post-er. Thank you for sharing your day-by-day with us. Did you ever imagine you'd experience so many emotions in such a short period of time?! You've got a great attitude! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I got kicked off the bus too! The bus driver just turned to me and said "finished" and I got off, walked around the corner and picked up another bus! I have never taken a bus in Utah, TRAX but not a bus. And after being dependent on expensive drivers for a couple weeks I loved the freedom of taking the bus!
    We took Alex to Lagoon the first month we were home and James thought he would LOVE it! But he was terrified. After a few scary rides he told me "Mom, I fro up my mouth little" so I took over and we headed to the kiddie rides. Those dumb-lawsuit waiting to happen rides in Ukraine are all they've ever known.
    Well, enjoy wearing those nice, clean, and CRISPY clothes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so amazing! Alisa and Daniel were over today and entertaining my boys. Alisa told me about your blog. It is wonderful, I hope you don't mind me reading it. What some amazing adventures you are having. I guess I will just live vicariously through you. I am so happy for your family, I need to take some parenting lessons. We miss you and are praying for you. xoxo -Suzie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad I can read all about your adventure! I wish the very best to Alina. She is a kid hard to forget, she is so striking and I have often thought about her. I do pray for the right thing to happen. Keep us updated, we are checking every day!!!

    ReplyDelete