Hinkson Family Circle





Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Day 7 part two Wednesday Tears and Peace

We went to the orphanage earlier than usual so that we could maybe catch a glimpse of the Corbetts and also see the kids as they came home from school. Most of the kids were wearing white shirts when they came in which means they have school clothes and also play clothes. It has been easier to learn their names etc. here because they are wearing the same clothes everyday. We have many of the names of the kids at the orphanage down and everyone was right, you fall in love with all of them.

When Alina came through the door she saw us and ran down the hall with her friends. I called after her but she was gone. This was not fun. Dave was mad and I kept fighting back tears. I hurried and finished a little hat that I was crocheting for a little girl in Oleg's group named Anya and tried not to cry. We were taking everything very personally and it really hurt. I told Oksana that Alina has lost her mother in a tragedy and God has given her a new mother and she is throwing me away. We finished the hat, gave it to Anya who is so cute, and left. On the way out Oleg saw me bawling and I can tell that he has a caring heart. On the way to the apt. Tyler was trying to cheer me up and kept saying hilarious things. My favorite was (as we are walking down the scary sidewalks where there is more hole than sidewalk, he said "I think that wearing high heels in Ukraine is not so much a sign of beauty as a symbol of courage." We laughed. I think he is right. With all the broken concrete mixed with broken glass and every other gross thing imaginable, it would be a feat to not fall flat on your face in such danger and yuckiness.

We went to the apt and ate some food (isn't that whatcha do when you are depressed.) Then Oksana called and said to hurry over to the orphanage so we could go sign some papers for Vitaly. We went back and I guess the word was out that we were sad because people kept hugging me which was sweet. They took us in the office and we had a pow wow with Oksana, and the orphanage lawyers (one of them is Irina's son) They were trying to figure out what was going on. They said that Alina had some money from somewhere and that she had taken her friends for ice cream yesterday and so they think that the sister/cousin had given her some money. I am not sure why that was a big deal but Oksana said that she would talk to Alina when we got back from the notary. We said," What happens if she won't talk to you? " She said in typical Oksana tone: "Oh she will talk to me" We always joke that if Oksana wants something, it will happen.

We hugged the Corbetts as they got out of the car and we got in. We traded translators and Ty stayed with the Corbetts as they met cute Igor. We hurried as fast as we could at the notary on the other side of town so we could get back. When we did Igor was having a great time with Parker and the Corbetts and we are so happy for them. They said the hospital where Andre is is horrendous and they didn't want to leave. Oksana said that if Alina wouldn't talk to her that she would ask Irina to put her in the hospital to get her away from her friends. I thought that was weird, but they do things differently here :)

We talked with Sonya and Dean and played with the boys outside while Oksana talked with Alina. When she came out she said "Alina said No, she won't go." We felt sad for a second and then a tremendous peace and relief came over us. Sonya said comforting words and although it wasn't the news that we came here to hear we felt more happy than sad for some reason. When I asked Oksana why she was refusing, she said "because you are Mormon." We had already explained that she didn't have to change religions etc etc. but I think it is the standards that she is worrying about. Her friends stayed with other LDS families and I think the thought of not wearing really short skirts and never drinking alcohol and smoking like the cool people do here, is too restrictive. I don't think it is doctrine that she is worried about as much as lifestyle. Sonya offered to talk to her earlier because she is orthodox and lives among Mormons and it is not a big deal. I think that we have some things to clear up but for now she can relax in knowing that she has given her answer and we won't be trying to persuade her to go anymore. She is not very strong and I think the reason that she is avoiding us is because she is worried that we will talk her into going and deep inside she wants to stay in Ukraine. She doesn't have the faith in her ability to learn English etc etc. Immigration is a huge deal and it takes some will to make it work.

The good news is that Oleg will probably be able to go without her. She said that she will sign a paper to allow their separation. The lady in charge of separation who works at the rathole place just happened to show up at our orphanage today when they had finished talking to Alina. She said that she will sign the separation paper because she feels that it is in the best interest of the children. So it looks like we will be coming home with 2 boys and Alisa you will get to keep your own room. Of course everything can change in a minute but we feel great peace in this development.

After all of this we took Vitaly and a couple of his friends to get ice cream. One the way to the store Vitaly grabbed my hand and held my hand for a few minutes as we all walked. I thought that was so cute. I was surprised that he would hold his Mom's hand in front of his friends but then the thought came to my mind that the last time he had a Mom, he was only 4 years old and that is what 4 year olds do. We will try our best to catch the boys up on all the hugs and love that they have missed all these years. Someone hug my sweet kids at home because they are missing some hugs and pats on the back right now and we really miss being there. Even Daniel would give us a hug with this much absence :)



7 comments:

  1. Oh....I am so glad you found peace. I think you're right about the lifestyle change and
    you are so right about Vitaly holding your hand. My Alex is the same way. He needs to be held like a little boy every so often. He loves hugs and kisses and wants to sit with me everywhere. Someone once told me that even though you adopt an older child you will get the chance to see them at every age you missed. Often times I see the three year old or four year old in Alex as we deal with things that he should have learned then but didn't. And I don't know an eleven year old that is so willing to hug and be held, it's like we're making up for lost time.
    Two boys! Wow. Congratulations!!
    Thanks for posting. Give Sonya grief as her posts have been few and far between! :)
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're getting your two handsome boys - that's terrific! I am so glad that peace has come to you. Hugs, kisses and hand holding at any age is wonderful! Hope your husband is feeling better and that your son continues to keep the mood light! Good things are ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad you are at peace. I can relate to the sense of relief. You did everything possible. In the end, it was Alina's decision. You told me when I was in the same situation, "I think she will feel a loneliness that doesn't go away." The aunt/sister really doesn't want her, just doesn't want anyone else to have her, and maybe one day she will realize this. I think life would be so difficult here at home with a child who felt forced to come. I pray that things will go smoothly now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your 2 boys are so lucky. It's unfortunate that Alina has chosen to stay, especially when she has been here to America and knows that the lies told to her just aren't true. But in the end, the peace you feel is all you need to know that this is the way it has to be at this time. Sadly, what Lori said about nobody really wanting her, but also not wanting her to come to America, is so true.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Once that peace comes, it's much easier to let go. We are very excited for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been lurking for awhile, so I figured I'd better make a comment. I am sorry to hear of your struggles, but so happy that you have a sense of peace about the outcome. I just really feel sorry that this little girl is going to miss out on having an amazing family and a wonderful life. Thanks for taking us along on your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Big deep breath-- what a roller coaster. So sorry for all that you are going through.

    ReplyDelete