Hinkson Family Circle





Wednesday, September 8, 2010

It's working!

One of my big fears after we got home with the new boys was their absence of the desire to pitch in and work. I wasn't sure if they were just afraid or had envisioned that they would be free from work in America. We have had a lifetime to teach our children the importance of work and how it is the basis for a provident life, but this ethic was kinda missing in our new sons, especially Vitaly. It is not like we went all the way to Ukraine and adopted children to have more help around the house but I was a little concerned that we would need to start beefing up our retirement to be able to support 2 more adults who would grow old with us and refuse to ever get a job :)

Well things are looking up. The other day we planted a new tree and I told Vitaly that it was his tree. I mentioned that we would need to water it often so that it could get a good start. I didn't assign him the job, but one morning he took the hose, all by himself, with no prompting whatsoever, and watered not only his tree, but the other baby trees as well. It was so monumental, I took a picture and will post it after this post. Yesterday Spencer and Scott and I went out to the garden to harvest our little patch of pototoes (which only took about 20 minutes.) During the process of me shoveling dirt and the boys searching for potatoes (like a treasure hunt) Spencer kept saying, "I love this work." "This is good home work, Mom" "I can like this work." etc. These little breakthroughs make my day.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since I can't spell and am too prideful to post a comment with a misspelled word, I had to write it again.

    Way to inspire them to work!

    Imagine which of those simple words I spelled wrong. LOL!

    ReplyDelete