Hinkson Family Circle





Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Fun with Friends

One of the greatest things that has happened since we adopted our new boys has been the huge treasure chest of new friends that we have met and been able to bond with and learn from in this adventure. The great thing about these new friends is that they truly understand what we are going through and don't give us any of the common "I told you this would happen if you adopted" or "I tried to warn you or it serves you right" kind of feeling that is really not helpful. We love all of our friends but let me tell you about some of our new adoption friends.

In the past few months, we went through Ukraine with the Dean and Sonya Corbett and if that refining fire doesn't seal the deal to a life-long friendship, I can't imagine what could. They are amazing people who have increased their family by 200% and are still alive to tell about it. Sonya is an amazing Mom who is still down to Earth enough that I feel that I can confess my mistakes and frustrations to her and she won't turn me into the police. We are looking forward to spending time with them over UEA weekend and having a little East bank orphanage reunion.

I have laughted my head off and had quite the ab workout listening to Wendy Richhart and the Sonnenbergs. Wendy is a true actress/entertainer who has a way to make the most normal of people, places or things, the funniest thing you have ever heard of. She also has a heart of gold and her advice always works amazing wonders. I guess that Heavenly Father knew that we would have to laugh to make it through this eventful year.

Nanette is an old friend (duration old--not chronilogically old) and we had a fun time going to the temple last week. My kids know how much I can talk to Nanette and there is a family joke that when someone is talking for a long time and someone else wishes they would stop, they start the "Mom and Nanette Garrett" comments.

I have had some good heartfelt talks with Arri Rogers who not only was our team leader when we hosted, but she also hosted our son Vitaly for most of the hosting period. She is a wonderful friend. I love the advice that I get from what I call "the support group luncheons." I wish that I had a week straight to talk to Jen Benson, Carlin Keller and Lori Lawrence. They are amazing and even though I have only known them a little while, I am so impressed.

Then last but not least, I really admire Amy Rast. She is an amazing girl!! You can pretty much name any good quality that a person could possess and Amy is a poster child for that quality. On my birthday she invited us to go mountain biking with her, Jeff, Mary, and her friend. We had an absolute blast. If you are going to ride a bike down a mountain, Amy is the one to have watching out for you :)

I truly feel blessed that we not only have 2 sweet little new sons but we have been blessed with really good, exceptional people who are our friends in the adventure. Adoption would be a difficult road to travel alone and I am grateful for those who have made it a little less rocky and a lot more fun :)

5 comments:

  1. This entry was amazing. You have named some amazing people in this blog entry, and everything you say is true. The Save A Child family is truly a select group of people. As tough as it is to go through some of the challenges of adoption, talking to people that have 'been there, done that' is so reassuring that we're all going through many of the same ups and downs and can be there for each other, no matter what.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christy you are too nice, you exaggerate a bit, but I will overlook it considering your other good qualities.

    I agree about the amazing people who adopt. It reminds me of something I experienced this weekend. I went biking with some friends and one of them wrecked and hit her face really hard. It looked very painful. I expected her to sit down and rest for a minute, or to be hesitant to get back on the bike. I would have. Not this unnamed amazing woman. She got up and said, “I am fine let’s go.” There she was dirt all over her face, in her nose and mouth - blood running down her nose, insisting she was fine and getting back on the bike. In the moment I laughed, it was so crazy and funny all at once. Later, as I thought about it on the ride down, I realized what an amazingly strong and courageous woman she is. This is the courage I see so often in the women who have adopted. They get knocked flat on their face day after day by the 1000 bizarre things these kids do and yet they get up despite the blood and scratches and keep trying. Thank you to that wonderful woman who reminded me what courage is. Next time I feel like sitting in the dirt and wallowing for awhile. I will remember her and get my sorry rear up and back on the bike.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christie, so glad I know you. And next time you all go biking, we want to go. Someone will probably have to pull me along with a rope, but we're game.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww Christy! I have to agree with Amy. You do have an exaggerating problem. Perhaps you need intervention? Dorrito Salad, fudge and chick flicks just might cure it?
    Thanks for your kind words and like Amy, I find that woman that fell off her bike AMAZING!! (Next time I plan on being in front of her going down that hill-just follow my lead-I'm good at going over my handle bars!)
    Who would have guessed that adopting would not only expand our family but my circle of friends ten fold?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to agree with you also, we have been truly amazed by the wonderful people we have had the opportunity to associate with. Just being here in Ukraine now and knowing so many of you have gone before us and are so willing to share your own experiences has helped us immensely. Thanks to all and I hope that one day we will be able to do the same as you all have done for us.

    ReplyDelete