Hinkson Family Circle





Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Learning....

I just went out to put something in the deep freeze and right on top, inside the freezer was a 18 pack carton of eggs. I don't know who put them there but I think that perhaps when all the kids were helping unload groceries one of the kids put them in there. They are cracked and interesting looking. I used to raise chickens and have bought thousands of eggs in my life and I am amazed that it has taken me so long in my life to actually see a frozen egg. I think there is some confusion with the new boys as to the difference between a freezer and a refridgerator.

Today Vitaly came up all dressed to go to the school to do some English placement testing. He has plaid shorts and a nice horizontal stripe shirt (picture clown attire.) When I tried to tell him about matching (this is a continual conversation that is often interrupted by "no, see blue and blue!!") he finally relented and changed the shirt. We had a discussion about patterns and solids and how you don't wear 2 patterns at the same time etc. Whew. America is hard, you have to match :)

Tomorrow is the first day of actual school here. I am biting my nails and hoping that it goes well. I hope they like the teachers, I hope the school lunch is good. I hope they don't get teased because they have an accent, I hope it is actually a tiny bit fun and that they learn something. I so admire mothers who have it together enough and enough energy to home school their children. I admire school teachers who can teach 25 kids at the same time with all of their various learning abilities and disabilities. I admire children who are so brave that they are willing to go to a new family in a new country and attend a new school and a new church and wear new clothes and make all new friends. Amazing, AMAZING!!

4 comments:

  1. Teeheehee. I forgot about the matching issue. We had the very same problems. As long as everything is in the same color family he thought it matched. One day he came down in bright red and yellow and I told him he looked like Ronald McDonald. He finally just learned to wear outfits that I had previously approved. Just this morning I got "Mom,what pants I wear with new red shirt?" Smart boy.
    Too funny about the eggs. I have seen frozen eggs but out of my too cold fridge!
    Yes home school-ing mom's are amazing but so are you!! Not everyone can bring two little guys into their home and give them a forever family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, my own BIOLOGICAL son came up YESTERDAY with plain shorts and a striped shirt. YIKES. We had the same exact lesson, but he's been living with me for 13 years. How did this slip through the cracks?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it. Your attitude made it that much more entertaining to read! How is school going?

    ReplyDelete