Hinkson Family Circle





Thursday, November 11, 2010

Happy Veteran's Day

Today I have been choking back tears all day as I attended the Veteran's Day assemblies that our children were singing in. First I went to Spencer and Scott's school and heard them sing some great songs about America and then went to the High School and heard Devin and Daniel sing. I arrived late since the assemblies overlapped and had to move toward the end of the assembly when I realized that the 21 gun salute that they did had the guns all pointed right at me on the balcony. Of course they were shooting blanks but it did make me nervous to have all those rifles shot by gray-haired men pointed in my direction. :) These events gave me a greater appreciation for those who gave their futures so that we could have the present that we enjoy.

All the veterens that I know are peace-loving and family oriented people who fought for the safety and freedom of those they loved and didn't just fight for the sake of being tough. I am not a war loving person and I hope that someday we really do have a world that is free from war and hatred and that peace is the name of the game. Here is a little song I wrote a couple of years ago. I want to find an older country singer-guy to sing it someday. This is as close as I get to a war protest song :)

There's Gotta Be a Better Way


With all of our technology
And prizes we have for peace
Why can't we seem to find a way
to make these battles cease
If we can put a man on the moon
Why can't we bring our boys home soon
Why does it always come to war
And what are we fighting for?

CHORUS
There's gotta be a better way
I'm watching for a brighter day
I'm hoping someone smart
Can fix this world's heart
There's gotta be a better way
I'm watching for a brighter day
Why can't the people in the war-torn zones
Put down their sticks and stones
And find a better way.

I've seen so much progress
Since I was a little boy
But I'm not proud of the many ways
We've learned to mass destroy
Why can't we talk and talk some more
Isn't every nation truly for
A world where everyone feels safe
With no more hurt and no more hate.

CHORUS

I'd rather be remembered for our ability to heal
Than feared by other nations, for our ability to kill

CHORUS

1 comment: