Hinkson Family Circle





Monday, November 15, 2010

Buckwheat

I wanted to post a little post about one of our Ukrainian kids favorite foods... Buckwheat. This is a picture of some buckwheat. The darker grain is some we brought home from Ukraine and the lighter grain is some we bought in the states. I am not sure why they are different but the kids love both kinds. Tyler told us about eating this while on his mission to Russia. Sure enough when we got to Ukraine the boys also were very accustomed to eating Buckwheat. They call it something that sounds like this "Grretchka." You cook it in water like rice and it puffs up and is like boiled wheat. They like to eat if for breakfast with milk and sugar or as a side dish with ketchup. It has a stronger taste than rice or wheat. The other day I saved some leftover cooked buckwheat and added it into some hamburger for Taco Salad and no one could tell that it was in there. It may be a nice way to stretch your ground beef and lower cholesterol at the same time :)

I bought a 50 lb bag of this Buckwheat from Honeyville grain company and would be happy to share some with anyone who wants to try it.

3 comments:

  1. That sounds good. I have heard all about it, and want to try it. I also saw some at the bulk bin at WinCo. I'll have to give it a try since and know what my daughter grew up on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Buckwheat? Isn't that the name of the little guy on the Rascals?
    Not being a liker of oatmeal, cream of wheat or anything like that, I'm not sure I could swallow it without gagging. However I do like Steel Cut Oats. I'm thinking this maybe what I bought in Ukraine thinking it was Steel Cut Oats? Hum....I like the taco salad idea. I think I'll have to try it and see for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought this dark buckwheat from the Russian store last year for all of the hosting families. Did you not get yours? I buy bags and bags of the stuff when I go, because I can rarely get out there. It is very good, and my girls like it too! My boys like to eat it with chicken!

    ReplyDelete